Everyone dies. Well, not Marky Mark – he lived.
I really wanted to see The Departed on the big screen, but I was busy raising kids. Or something. But this weekend we sat down and watched it. It was as good as I hoped (btw, my expectation for movies is low – as long as I don’t feel like that’s two hours of my life I really want back, I consider it a success).
How could you not love The Departed though? A good story that draws you in and an amazing star-filled cast. Jack Nicholson is #1 bad guy, Marky Mark is a smart-mouthed police Sargent, Matt Damon is a mole, Leonardo DiCaprio (anyone else remember him on Growing Pains?) is also a mole but for the other team and Alec Baldwin. Oh! And Martin Sheen. See? good actors – it would be hard to make a craptastic movie with these guys all being directed my Martin Scorsese.
Some things that bounced around in my head … how is it that Matt Damon and Ben Affleck got their big break together in Good Will Hunting and one of them makes romantic comedies and the other makes awesome action packed adventure? Also, can you imagine Thanksgiving at Mrs Baldwin’s home if all four sons were there? Alec is an outspoken liberal, Stephen is an evangelical Christian, Daniel has allegedly has a cocaine problem and then boring Billy is married to Chynna Phillips and has been for over a decade.
If you like movies that make you pay attention and can handle the constant use of the F-word
Ellerby: Go fuck yourself.
Dignam: I’m tired from fucking your wife.
Ellerby: How is your mother?
Dignam: Good, she’s tired from fucking my father.
There’s blood too. And guns. And cigarettes.
I would totally watch it again. And for some points of comparison:
- American Pie or The Departed? The Departed
- Face/Off or The Departed? Are you insane? John Travolta is in Face/Off, Face Off
- Italian Job or The Departed? you should do a Marky Mark double-header and watch both
- Horton Hears a Who or The Departed? The Departed
- Slumdog Millionaire or The Departed? Slumdog Millionaire because you can rent The Departed anytime
- Australia or The Departed? The Departed, Australia took 3 hours of my life that I cannot have back
- The Dark Knight or The Departed? ooh, that’s hard … but if I can only pick one, The Departed
So, there you have it. Watch The Departed. And to help you do that I will send one lucky person my copy on DVD. It’s a legal, purchased DVD – only watched once. The winner will be chosen randomly and announced on Friday, January 9. To be eligible leave a comment before Thursday, January 8th 10pm MST.