Maverick

Etymology:
Samuel A. Maverick †1870 American pioneer who did not brand his calves
Date:
1867
1: an unbranded range animal ; especially : a motherless calf
2: an independent individual who does not go along with a group or party

Last night I saw the John McCain of 2000, the John McCain that was a maverick at one time, the John McCain that should have won the Republican nom eight years ago. During his concession speech his supporters boo’d at President-elect Obama’s name. And he sushed them. Do they not know enough about their candidate to know that he respects the office of the POTUS so much that he would NEVER allow such a thing?

In the waining weeks of the campaign we saw the worst of our candidates. And the best. In early October a McCain supporter said in front of a crowd of people that Obama is an Arab. McCain took the microphone and said
No ma’am, He’s a decent family man, citizen, that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues.
Could it have been stronger? Yes. But you could see in his face … you can see, is it sadness? Sadness that his supporters believe the lies? Sadness that he’s running a campaign similar to the one that tanked him in 2000? Whatever it was, it was as though a little of the pre-campaign McCain was showing through.

I think that’s the McCain that people wanted to support. That McCain knew he couldn’t win the GOP nomination. McCain leaving his “maverick” roots did two things: brought the crazies out of the wood-work and made many lose faith in their candidate.

“I wanted to see the next vice president of the United States,” said Josh Simmons, Gators for McCain chairman.

Simmons said he voted for Obama about two weeks ago.

“I’ve seen a different John McCain than the one I signed up to work for,” he said.

So, while we’re celebrating our victories (and in Colorado there is a lot of blue) remember that your neighbor’s, your friend’s, you mother’s candidate may not have won. And heed President-elect Obama’s words when he says

and while the Democratic Party has won a great victory tonight, we do so with a measure of humility and determination to heal the divides that have held back our progress.  As Lincoln said to a nation far more divided than ours, “We are not enemies, but friends…though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection.”

7 smart people left their mark:

1. Kelly O, 5. November 2008, 10:40

That was amazing, wasn’t it? That was the McCain that should have run against Obama. My greatest hope is that, if nothing else, this represents a turn away from the religious right.

Kelly Os last blog post..I Baracked the vote!

2. Beth Partin, 5. November 2008, 10:58

I think we’ll need a great deal of humility in the years ahead. And I agree with Kelly–I want religion and politics to go their separate ways. It’s better for everyone that way.

Beth Partins last blog post..It’s Been a Long Time Coming, but I Know a Change Is Gonna Come

3. melissaz, 5. November 2008, 11:10

I was thinking the same thing last night. Where was THIS guy during the past several months? I’d have considered voting for him, provided that he didn’t pick the psycho moose woman.

melissazs last blog post..Ok, last political post. I promise.

4. Pamela, 5. November 2008, 14:03

I think the most telling bit of the night was the booing and the shouting during McCain’s concession speech. And the crowd not stopping, even after he told them to knock it off. The crowd in Chicago? Applauded John McCain. That is grace and caring, and I am proud to have supported the right candidate.

Pamelas last blog post..wordless wednesday

5. Real Life Fairy Tale Princess, 5. November 2008, 17:05

I second that. While I did vote Obama… I did so with much regret. Not because I think Obama will do poorly… on the contrary… I think both candidates have equally good and bad qualities. This was by far the hardest election decision I’ve had to make. And unfortunately, the deciding factor for me was some last minute “slanderous” statements by my own Republican representatives. I honestly can’t say which candidate was right. I like to HOPE I chose correctly, but my father (a strong McCain supporter) is someone I consider very intellegent, and I’m sure he believed his candidate was the best choice also.

Real Life Fairy Tale Princesss last blog post..WTF Wednesday… it is Wednesday right?

6. Halimah, 5. November 2008, 17:29

Well said my dear!

Halimahs last blog post..Nervous Energy

7. Lynn, 5. November 2008, 18:02

RLFTP…. hello… you are me and I am you, dad and all.

Lynns last blog post..Hello Switch Witch! Goodbye Sugar.